- United Kingdom(GBP)
- United States(USD)
- European Union(EUR)
- Hong Kong SAR China(HKD)
C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer
DescriptionThe long-awaited follow up to the C9 Worldtimer, the C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer marks the return of Calibre JJ03 to the CW Collection. And in much the same way that our in-house worldtimer modification has undergone some changes, the C1 is a completely different instrument to its predecessor, inside and out.
The C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer posed an interesting challenge for all at CW. How could this genre of watch, stereotypically (and often out of necessity) known for its busy dials, stay in keeping with the Grand Malvern Collection's understated aesthetic? To start, the crisp blue and white colour scheme found throughout the Collection is present and correct; it's applied with pleasing rationale to the new North Pole-centred world map - white for land, blue for the world's oceans - with one splash of colour found in an orange "radar" marker (there's more on that in the 'movement' section' opposite).
For a watch displaying the text of 24 international cities around its exterior, clarity became a crucial factor. As a result, the C1's hour and minute hands have been filled with T-C1 SuperLumiNova® to assist with legibility on that red-eye flight, while its case measures in at a necessary 43.5mm. But it's not cumbersome: thanks to the Grand Malvern's signature case design, a structure that blends brushed and polished surfaces with artfully sculpted 'light-catcher' lines, the C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer offers just the right proportions for a watch that allows its wearer to tell the time across the world in a single glance.
MovementThe third of Christopher Ward's JJ Calibres - a series dedicated to unique in-house modifications of many pre-existing movements - JJ03 is based upon the ETA 2893, the industry's go-to automatic GMT calibre.
Whereas the previous iteration of JJ03 found in the C9 Worldtimer re-geared the 2893 to feature airport destinations as a second time zone and featured an hour hand that took 24 hours to complete a revolution, the new envisioning of JJ03 offers a more simple approach. Reverting to 12-hour timing, it also powers a moving 24-hour disc which is read in conjunction with the international cities around it. Turning the crown clockwise will engage this 24-hour disc; turn the crown anti-clockwise, and you'll have control of what we believe to be a unique mechanical development in watchmaking: our time zone-denoting orange city indicator. An innovative addition to the C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer, this adjustable marker is set against the city of the user's choice, and when read in conjunction with its moving GMT ring offers an immediate reminder of your chosen city's 24-hour time.
Such technical pedigree deserves the aesthetic embellishment to match, which is why JJ03 is visible through an exhibition window on the C1's reverse; the outer arc of its rotor has been filled with blue enamel - a detail reserved for members of the JJ Calibre family.
- Diameter: 43.5mm
- Height: 11.55mm
- Weight: 66g
- Calibre: ETA 2893 with JJ03 module
- Case: 316L stainless steel
- Water resistance: 3 ATM (30 metres)
- Vibrations: 28,800 per hour (4 Hz)
- Timing tolerance: +20/-20 seconds per day
- Lume: SuperLumiNova® SLN-T-C1
- Strap width: 22mm
- Strap colour: Blue
- Lug to Lug: 51.9mm
- Swiss made
- Self-winding 21 jewel movement with 'JJ03' in-house Worldtimer module
- Unique orange "radar" marker to highlight chosen timezone
- 40 hour power reserve
- Colimacone rotor finish filled with blue lacquer
- Polished surgical-grade stainless steel case with brushed sides
- Blue and white worldtimer dial
- Rotating 24-hour bezel with night and day colouring
- International cities ring with chamfered finish
- Anti-reflective domed sapphire crystal
- Push-down crown with twin flag motif
- Brushed and polished steel hands
- Hour and minute hands filled with T-C1 SuperLumiNova®
- Exhibition backplate with unique engraved serial number
- Italian Shell Cordovan strap with Bader deployment and quick-release pins for easy changing
- Luxurious presentation case and owner's handbook